You live the dream! When I was little, I didn’t know how hard it was. I don’t know what I thought. It seemed I wasn’t allowed, though I was able to show interest early on. I sorta had bad luck or an unfair life. So, I would imagine it was not too late that young and that it was the nature of professionals to have a long time to learn one performance. I figured it wasn’t very popular and so there would be little competition.
I see you were warned, too.
My 2 cents is, since I am sticking with violin starting at age 29, that do it if you like it. You can always try until you’re satisfied? You know, you can get another job, though it may not be what you wanted.
Also, I imagine, if you have a real love and ability, you will develop in some outlet, like church, community orchestra, or something else lucky if you’re rather good, like weddings, special small events, etc.
“Better late than never.”